Monday, October 18, 2010

Living with an Invisible Illness, part 1

Many people I know suffer from invisible illnesses. I wrote this today during a bad flare. Nothing practical here, but hopefully in the days to come we can change that.

Fibromyalgia haiku


This flush on my face
So cheerful, seeming healthy
Lies – All is not well


“You look so healthy”
Appearances deceive you
This body - broken


Trigger points scream red
Without external pressure
Pools of pain inside


Large muscles spasm
Small ones clench, no release
No relief exists


Cannot filter noise
Near or far, it all pierces
I’m flying apart


My brain, wrapped in gauze
Thoughts disappear in the gray
What was I saying?


Sleep may be reprieve
Or not – hours pass, but still
Bone-deep exhaustion


Flares may fade away
“Normal” return for a day
But “Health” never will


This is my life now
Hurt, tired, and misunderstood
God is my refuge

2 comments:

  1. You are such a brave fighter. You never give up no matter what's thrown at you and that is one of the things that I admire about you.

    It's hard for people without some kind of chronic pain to understand and I confess that I've given up on trying to explain my foot/knee problems to people. I've decided that smiling through the pain is the way to go because they just don't get it.

    I keep you warmly in my thoughts each and every day Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, luv! Those words mean a lot to me. I value your friendship and think warmly of you, too. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete